Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Lowered Iq

SallyIQ

Well got the springs on Thursday but couldnt fit them til today due to being in the New Forest all weekend!

Went for a drive to help them settle and took a few pics, but my car is so dirty!!

29-06-09534.jpg

29-06-09536.jpg

29-06-09553.jpg

Looks so different from standard now!

Sally, that looks FANTASTIC! I'd love my IQ to look the same.....how much did you spend in total (if you don't mind me asking)

Looks really good especially on those wheels! - Although people usually suggest a month or so to let the springs fully settle (before alignment of course ;))

Did you DIY it?

Looks good Sally! :thumbsup:

Curious -- why would someone lower a car?

Typically for 2 reasons...

1. It improves the look by eliminating the gap between the wheel and the arch.

2. It improves handling

;)

2. It improves handling

;)

Do you run the risk of causing damage, for example when you go over a speed hump?

Sally, car looks good, I am going to get mine lowered next month, where did you get the springs from and who fitted them?

Having read a previous thread in the forum some people have ordered the 25 mm springs from Mr T and had him fit them for warranty purposes.

Some have bought the 35mm ones elsewhere and had them fitted by a third party garage.

Does it make a lot of difference to the handling compared to the cost?

I was quoted around £450 from Mr T.

Hey thanks for the comments, i love the way it is now!

The springs cost me £195 including delivery for a 35mm drop. I got them from a company called SRB Power who are based in the UK, they imported them for me from H&R in Germany so no import tax or anything like that.

I fitted them myself (well my partner did) the rears were easy, fronts were quite hard as its so tightly packed in and different to a normal cars set up. I would say it took him 4 hours altogether to fit them. If your not confident with things like that then I would say definitely get a garage to fit them as its a hard job even when you kinda know what your doing and you need alot of different tools. (different size sockets and spring compressors, 2 jacks etc)

There is no rubbing at all baring in mind i have got 17's on the car. I haven't noticed much difference in the handling but then i have only been to work and back since fitting them which isnt a very demanding drive!!

Got another new part for the car coming soon, but will update more on that as and when its done :)

2. It improves handling

;)

Do you run the risk of causing damage, for example when you go over a speed hump?

Only if your a total plank and you don't slow down!

Car looks really good, its a lot tougher looking than when stock :thumbsup:

That's an impresive looking car now Sally. :rolleyes:

Nice wheels too.

What makes you use my local dealer in Ukfield though? :unsure: Isn't your local much good? :)

I'll wait to see if there's an Aston Cygnet replica kit before I do anything to mine! :D

I live in Isfield, just outside Uckfield so they are my local :D Brian sold me mine, really helpful bloke

I took the car to them when i got the new wheels and they loved it...gonna wait til the other new part im getting on Friday then gonna take it down there again on Saturday morning to give them another look

I live in Isfield, just outside Uckfield so they are my local :D Brian sold me mine, really helpful bloke

I took the car to them when i got the new wheels and they loved it...gonna wait til the other new part im getting on Friday then gonna take it down there again on Saturday morning to give them another look

Bryan Jones? :rolleyes:

Helpful bloke. Liverpool supporter too. :rolleyes:

Can't get better than that. ;)

We're all in suspense for that next part. :unsure: Keep us informed. :rolleyes:

The H&R springs are available on eBay for £125 with import included which is where I got mine from in May. Perfect drop in my opinion anything lower would look a bit silly I think. Handling does get better & better as they settle but you do have to be careful over speed humps as front will hit on those little flaps at the front.

Cool, glad everyone catching up with the modifying ;)

JOKE.

If you really want a lower IQ, try reading the Daily Mail.. :lol:

Seriously though, how do the new springs effect the ride quality? :unsure:

Cant find them on eBay, got a link? Im more than happy with getting them through SRB Power anyway

I havent scraped my mud guard things on any speed humps yet...

To be honest i cant feel any difference in ride quality or handling as its really good as standard. I didnt get in the car, go round a few corners and be amazed. There is still a bit of roll in the back end, the one thing i do think would improve it would be a rear lower ARB, so will see if one comes out in the future for it.

There is still a bit of roll in the back end, the one thing i do think would improve it would be a rear lower ARB, so will see if one comes out in the future for it.

Don't have my iQ just yet so can't have a look underneath the back end to verify, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. If it has a rear anti-roll bar (which it probably doesn't) there would only be one (as opposed to two, i.e. upper and/or lower). You might be thinking of a lower brace which would normally run between the rear lower control arms on a car with independent rear suspension, but on a car like the iQ which I believe has a torsion-beam setup on the rear, it would make virtually no difference and there would be no-where to fit one.

In any case, such a brace would not reduce roll but would reduce any minor flex in the chassis where the rear lower control arms would mount. On a race car with slick tyres these points take a tremendous load when cornering and it's not unusual to see an improvement in stability with a brace.

For completeness, an anti-roll bar limits the ability of suspension units to move independently on cars with independent suspension. A thicker anti-roll bar reduces the amount of weight transfer when cornering which in most cases reduces the amount of mechanical grip. High performance front-wheel-drive cars use a thick rear anti-roll bar to help trim the attitude of the car on the throttle (read up on lift-off oversteer).

:)

They have been on eBay since March but nobody seems to look worldwide which is where they are. The thing to help with the handling will be wheel spacers as the further out at the corners the wheels are like a go kart the better they handle & with the springs it would work a treat.

eBay number - 360163675204. ;)

Jaine

There is still a bit of roll in the back end, the one thing i do think would improve it would be a rear lower ARB, so will see if one comes out in the future for it.

Don't have my iQ just yet so can't have a look underneath the back end to verify, but that doesn't make a lot of sense. If it has a rear anti-roll bar (which it probably doesn't) there would only be one (as opposed to two, i.e. upper and/or lower). You might be thinking of a lower brace which would normally run between the rear lower control arms on a car with independent rear suspension, but on a car like the iQ which I believe has a torsion-beam setup on the rear, it would make virtually no difference and there would be no-where to fit one.

It's a little more complicated than that. The small Toyota hatchbacks, Yaris / Aygo / iQ have a torsion bar at the rear axle. Some of the Yarises (all?) also have a rear anti-roll bar. The iQ and Aygo do not have a rear arb as the torsion bar flex provides the full anti-roll stiffness.

I have looked into adding a rear arb to the Aygo, but in the end it was simpler to just weld an extra plate onto the rear torsion bar. This makes a huge difference to the handling, see pic:

pic1.jpg

In order to balance things out, we have now added an extra adjustable front arb to the Aygo. Now with the stiffer front the car is better balanced and only has a bit of rear wheel lift:

IMG_5994.jpg

It is brilliant fun to drive like this :D

The iQ has the benefit of Tein coilovers which we don't have on the Aygo, so I would look at those first if you want a sportier ride. Those should give you better handling and they may even be adjustable so you can fine tune if you like.

BTW, while I'm here, a shameless plug for the Toyota Sprint Series. We are still waiting for the first iQ to show up and contest class F, for 1-litre cars. You can bring a completely standard car to the races or you can mod it---as long as it is taxed and roadworthy you can race.

Paul.

Would putting lowering springs on etc not invalidate the warranty with dealers??

Just wondering

In terms of a suspension problem... yes

Lowering springs should not invalidate the warranty on any other part of the car

The Aygo looks excellent fun Paul, very nice :D

Would anyone at the sprint series complain if I put a Toyota Badge on my Caterham ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links