Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Is Not Disengaging Proply

Toms MR2 16v

After thinking my gearbox might be gone i now think its the clutch.

Is the anyway of making the clutch open up more? Or is the any think i

should try? Any help would be most gratfull thanks

Can you describe the symptoms?

The clutch hasn't got any adjustments (except for pedal height). If it is the clutch then the biting point will be almost 'on the floor'. If that is the case then you will have either air in the sytsem (unlikely) or failed seals on the master or slave assemblies. A fluid leak may be visible if you peel back the boot on the slave. Leaks in the master are more difficult to see and it's normally fluid by-pass as opposed to leaks on that unit.

Can you describe the symptoms?

The clutch hasn't got any adjustments (except for pedal height). If it is the clutch then the biting point will be almost 'on the floor'. If that is the case then you will have either air in the sytsem (unlikely) or failed seals on the master or slave assemblies. A fluid leak may be visible if you peel back the boot on the slave. Leaks in the master are more difficult to see and it's normally fluid by-pass as opposed to leaks on that unit.

Hi thanks for ya help bud. Right the clutch is at a nice hight not to low/high.

I checked the pedal hight its all fine. The is no fluid leak that i can see.

It just feels like its not disengaging proply. When i put it in R it grinds a bit an at hi revs

in 3 it grinds i have to let the revs drop an put it in gear slow.

Dos this make any sens?

Thanks Pete

Sound like the synchro may be worn. Might be cheaper to get a gearbox from a breakers that get yor gearbox reconditioned. However the replacement unit may have the same problem as this is a common problem.

Sound like the synchro may be worn. Might be cheaper to get a gearbox from a breakers that get yor gearbox reconditioned. However the replacement unit may have the same problem as this is a common problem.

Yeap thats what i've diagnosed mine down to be, I have to go really slow into 3rd as well... But for now just skipping it =-P Now, 5th is kinda turning like 3rd but 1st, 2nd and 4th work like a champ. As for the 'grind' into R, i found mine crunches, and not grinds. I think its normal, because its been like that the 6 years ive had it and nothings ever come from it. I have a 91 and have read on a website that the 91 transmission have problems with the 3rd gear synchro and that this has been corrected in 93+ (Correct me if im wrong). Now my question is would i 93 trannsmission fit into a 91??

Straight swap I'd imagine.

Loads of people are putting later 3S-GE engines in early cars with 3S-FE so gearboxes must be forward/backward compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I heard somewhere that 2nd and 4th gear have trouble. Mine grinds very rarely in reverse, but the shifter grinds when shifting in and out of second gear. That seems like a syncro problem to me.

If the clutch is engaging while the pedal isn't moving, thats a clutch master cylinder problem.

I'm referring to a 91 by the way.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links