Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Fault Lamp, 98 Avensis.

Jolly Roger

:) After the light came on I tried a standard OBDII reader; 'Link Error'. After research on the net realised that pre 2002 cars often have a OBD connector but do not comply. Found a reference to shorting two pins in the connector then turning Ignition on.........the engine lamp flashed -- -. i.e. 21. My wife found a reference on this club site to it being an oxygen sender fault!!

Went to a local dismantlers/repairers; they charged £30!!! for a used sender.

Came off easily; one of the bolts was actually loose!

Tested new item on an AVO. two black wires less than one ohm; white and violet open circuit! but apparently this is normal when cold.

Fitted new item and took the ECU fuse out for one minute to reset. Started, lamp went out. Great!

Took old unit to show wife.... she said what is that there..... bare wire showing.......Sure enough she was right; the cable was rubbed through!!!!!!

On examination it had been rubbing on the electric fan when the engine was hot........Looked as if it had taken years to rub through!!!!!!!

There it is then; hardly a component fault; someone....possibly me......had moved the wire during an inspection and instead of returning it between the two fans had left it swinging near one fan!!!

If there is any moral it is look at your wiring and see it is well clear of the fan.

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links