Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.3 Water Pump Failure

three5

Hi Folks,

took the XT5 in for service and to have the seat covers changed this morning. Had a phone call about 10.45hrs "water pump is leaking and needs changing, it's a 6 hour job, we don't have one in stock so we need the car overnight". The car has done 16,400miles from new in two years. Is this "just one of those things" or are there other instances of water pump failure on the 4.3? Does it need adding to the ( Stews? ) list of problems with the 4.3? :unsure:

lot of nonsense - tell them my water pump on my dishwasher has lasted 15 years without a service!

Question it!

Hi Folks,

took the XT5 in for service and to have the seat covers changed this morning. Had a phone call about 10.45hrs "water pump is leaking and needs changing, it's a 6 hour job, we don't have one in stock so we need the car overnight". The car has done 16,400miles from new in two years. Is this "just one of those things" or are there other instances of water pump failure on the 4.3? Does it need adding to the ( Stews? ) list of problems with the 4.3? :unsure:

Hell , that's not many miles. The one on my 4.2 went at 36k 2 years ago. Looks like 1.5 hours labour plus a new aux belt and engine coolant made from gold which came to £278.29 + vat according to my receipt. Mine was a petrol though.

The book time is 9.8 hours :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

The book time is 9.8 hours :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

9.8 hours at £80.00/hour! wow! Including parts that must be approaching £1000. Do you have to take the engine out?

I think the "book" recommends removing the engine but it can be done without but it is a struggle, hence the 6 hours they are quoting

Hi Folks,

Yes, mines gone in for the water pump leak, a desert spoon full on the the garage floor after most trips now its got worse, but thats not the problem, its got an oil leak from the timing cover so the engines coming out. 3 year old 15000 miles, not used for work just pleasure, cleaner than the day I picked it up new, one stone chip on a wheel and one on a rear door. Hope this amount of work dosn't spoil what is the nicest car I've owned. My last was a 2.5 274bhp 0-60 under 5 seconds Subaru impreza so it had quite a hard act to follow. Mike

We had another thread talking about this last year:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109175

May help to read it if you want a little more information :thumbsup:

Thanks Duncs!

I think your link didn't work properly but using the search ( why didn't I do it before posting? :blink: )function I dug out http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=100687&st=20

I guess this is the one you meant. So, it's not a new issue then. Hmmmm! Anchorman's comments about sealing make a lot of sense - I wonder if all the pumps that fail are on low annual mileage vehicles where the seal dosent get enough "exercise" to keep it working as intended? As I said mine has done 16400 miles, 10000 last year and 6400 this year. Wife says that I should get out more - I'll just have to remember to take the car :thumbsup:

Just back from work!

Its not all bad news Chris. The new pump has modified seals and in talking to the Service manager at RRG he also says they change the pumps with the engine in. I see mine had got different coolant again. The last one was red but this is more of a purply pink!

Just back from work!

Its not all bad news Chris. The new pump has modified seals and in talking to the Service manager at RRG he also says they change the pumps with the engine in. I see mine had got different coolant again. The last one was red but this is more of a purply pink!

Thanks Anchorman,

that was my next question "has the design been modified?" I feel a bit better about it now! Wife had a Hillman Limp when we were first married which needed a new water pump with ( it seemed like ) every tankful of fuel. Got to the point with that where I opened the boot and whistled and the pump jumped out :D Mine is in RRG at Rochdale for the work as I bought it there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links