Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Touring Sports Hybrid - General Advice

crand5

I am replacing my company car in March 2014 and currently have a Auris Touring Sports Excel out on demo. I only have it for 2 days though so not much time to get all the ins/outs of the car. I have read through various posts on this forum but just have some general questions for any Auris Touring Sports Hybrid owners.

Just to state my main aim for a new car is the achieve the best MPG possibly with a car that has low BIK tax but can still serve its purpose as a family car (2 kids,wife and a dog).

1. My commute to work is 30 miles each way and a mixture of motorway / A roads / and country lanes and some congestion. Last night in the Auris I drove home on my normal route and the trip computer was saying my average mpg when i arrived home was 54mpg (which is ok) and coming into work this morning I took the motorway route and it was about the same mpg (54). My demo car is the Excel version but I would get the Icon version which I believe has slightly better mpg due to the different size wheels.

So how accurate is the trip computer ? Would it better for me to say it was 10% over and so i roughly achieved 50mpg ?

2. This is the first auto I have driven in 25 years so this maybe just me but I did find pulling out at juctions a little nervy as the car didn't seem to accelerate as quick as my current car (Golf Estate Diesel) . Does anyone else find this ? I had the car in ECO mode so would this explain the slight delay in pulling away ?

3. What is the best 'mode' to generally drive in ? I have it in ECO at the moment but is there a mode that selects the best mode depending on your current driving ?

4. Has anyone gone from a diesel car to a hybrid and then regretted it ?

My other reasons for considering a non diesel is that my Golf has a DPF and when it does a regen the car smells terrible from the fumes. I have taken it back to VW several times complaining about it but each time they said nothing was wrong with it.

I have to say overall I was very impressed with the Auris Hybrid and how smooth it was. It is certainly a contender now in my next car selection.

Thanks for reading and any advice or response would be greatly appreciated.

1. Yes - though the accuracy worsens during winter period/colder weather, and gets better as it warms up through the year. 10% sounds about right as an average.

2. Yes - the ECO mode (amongst other things) remaps the accelerator so that further movement is required to provide the same response, basically makes it more sensitive to the user. Try it in Normal mode and see how you like that.

3. No. Normal mode is fine. Power mode if you want to burn off some chavs, I use ECO mode during the winter months as apart from the above, it runs the AC/heating more economically, and I can drive a little more 'efficiently', you get the drift!

4. Can't help you with this one, suffice to say that I would much rather have a petrol hybrid than an equivalent auto diesel, for the reasons you have already mentioned especially if you are going to be keeping the car for a few years.

My opinions, I'm sure others have theirs too :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Valmiki.

So maybe a daft question then and wthout being near the car to check (and having only driven it in the dark) is there a button to select for 'Normal Mode' or by definition of not selecting another modes does it default to normal mode.

From memory I know there is a button for eco mode, power mode and EV mode but not sure about normal.

Also if I elect to stick to diesel then i will have a manual car as these are better in CO2's and MPG in the makes/models i am considering.

Also just for info we have to keep our cars for 4 years.

If you press PWR mode whilst in PWR mode or ECO while in ECO then it goes to Normal Mode.

• Like 1

Sounds like you just want to try something different! Bit like me really, except it was with my own cash so long term consideration was more of a priority (reliability, road tax, insurance), and I like the talking point it provides.

I have to say though, the auto makes for very relaxed driving. I miss it now when I have to drive the missis' Civic (but than plan's already underway to replace hers with a previous gen. Auris Hybrid).

I'd also wager that real-life MPG will be better in the hybrid if your mileage is more town rather than motorway.

• Like 1

... long term consideration was more of a priority (reliability, road tax, insurance),..

I have to say though, the auto makes for very relaxed driving...

I'd also wager that real-life MPG will be better in the hybrid if your mileage is more town rather than motorway.

I kept my 2nd Gen 1 Prius 9 years and did 163k - I found other running costs were good too - original brake pads/discs lasted nearly 100k (would have been longer if I'd not had a year when I mostly used a company Gen 2 Prius and mine was only used one day a week, if that- then rust got the disks, and the A/C compressor seals dried out and it packed up too).

When I sold it, was only on 2nd set of spark plugs.

with no gears to change, I don't think there's anything as relaxing at any price (OK maybe a Lexus Hybrid with lots more toys...). Plus I don't find the engine screams if I squeeze the accelerator rather than stab it down - I think the press exaggerate this anyway, it's just the car is so refined most of the time when the engine does raise above a murmur it's very noticeable - many autos in kick-down are pretty noisy too.

I get 70-73 mpg indicated on a long run at mostly 60-70 mph (average of 3 less when calculated on tank fill). I think Toyota Hybrids just love motorways, unless you want to cruise at ridiculous speeds.

My commute into work is 30 miles with a rough breakdown of 5 miles to motorway (congestion) , 15 miles clear motorway and generally keep to 60-70mph as i try to get the most i can from a tank of fuel, then final 10 miles of 'A' road and sometimes congestion.

My return journey is 28 miles of country roads with little congestion but lots of juctions to stop at.

Now just incase you wonder why i take a different route home its bacause the reverse motorway journey is a nightmare trying to get to the motorway.

So my commute is a good mixture of roads which i think will suite a hybrid.

I am replacing my company car in March 2014 and currently have a Auris Touring Sports Excel out on demo. I only have it for 2 days though so not much time to get all the ins/outs of the car. I have read through various posts on this forum but just have some general questions for any Auris Touring Sports Hybrid owners.

Just to state my main aim for a new car is the achieve the best MPG possibly with a car that has low BIK tax but can still serve its purpose as a family car (2 kids,wife and a dog).

1. My commute to work is 30 miles each way and a mixture of motorway / A roads / and country lanes and some congestion. Last night in the Auris I drove home on my normal route and the trip computer was saying my average mpg when i arrived home was 54mpg (which is ok) and coming into work this morning I took the motorway route and it was about the same mpg (54). My demo car is the Excel version but I would get the Icon version which I believe has slightly better mpg due to the different size wheels.

So how accurate is the trip computer ? Would it better for me to say it was 10% over and so i roughly achieved 50mpg ?

2. This is the first auto I have driven in 25 years so this maybe just me but I did find pulling out at juctions a little nervy as the car didn't seem to accelerate as quick as my current car (Golf Estate Diesel) . Does anyone else find this ? I had the car in ECO mode so would this explain the slight delay in pulling away ?

3. What is the best 'mode' to generally drive in ? I have it in ECO at the moment but is there a mode that selects the best mode depending on your current driving ?

4. Has anyone gone from a diesel car to a hybrid and then regretted it ?

My other reasons for considering a non diesel is that my Golf has a DPF and when it does a regen the car smells terrible from the fumes. I have taken it back to VW several times complaining about it but each time they said nothing was wrong with it.

I have to say overall I was very impressed with the Auris Hybrid and how smooth it was. It is certainly a contender now in my next car selection.

Thanks for reading and any advice or response would be greatly appreciated.

A few pieces of advices for you from a man who learned a few things the hard way:

I'm in Denmark so my OBC displays KM/L in stead of MPG but I have found the OBC to be approximately 0.9 km/l optimistic which is around 3 mpg.

I am currently averaging only 48 mpg. I was expecting more especially considering we haven't had any frost during the days yet. To be fair though: my car is a car for disabled driver, which means it gets a LOT of short runs down to the groccery store. In other words, the majority of my runs are 0-6 miles. More over, aircon is (almost) always on sat at 22 oil 24 degrees, I have winter tires (haven't checked tyre pressures.

Driving very sensibly (a bit on the slow side), in late summer/beginning of autumn, I averaged an indicated 67.8 mpg on a run I think was around 60-70 miles. Quite happy with that.

This is so far the best auto box I have ever driven (and I have driving quite a few). I don't mind the "noisiness" during acceleration.

Be advised: My car has problems cabin the cabin temperature after about 1 hour of driving. Quite a few people have pointed this out, so mine is not a single case. There are NO air/heating vents for rear passengers, and this has meant that some users of this board have received complaints from backseat passengers feeling cold.

Power mode will feel a bit quicker then Eco mode. Personally, however, I normally keep the car in eco mode and just floor it when acceleration is needed. Some people say that ECO means the cabin doesn't get as warm, however, in my experience, only thing ECO does is slowing the fans. The temperature itself does not seem to change.

Check the seats: my left buttocks is always deeper in the seat causing me to unwillingly lean slightly left during driving caused back pains after about 40 miles. Will talk to Toyota as this could be a fault in the construction of the seat.

For punch and performance I'd take a diesel. Can't beat that torque. Or a turbo petrol. The 1.8 (180 bhp and 250 nm) TSI Octavia is definitely more spirited than the HSD system. For reliability, get the hybrid!

• Like 1

Appreciate the reply Nicolai.

I have now handed my demo car back and overall impression in the short time I had the car is very good.

On my 4 trips to / from work I averaged 55mpg according to the trip computer. I would have liked to have seen what the mpg would have been on a colder day.

I have read a couple of threads about the issues with heating for rear passengers so will do some more research. Certainly don't want the kids moaning about being cold on a long journey !!

Unfortunately I only got to drive the car on my commute to work which is about a 50 minute journey so didn't really experience potential problems with seat comfort on a long journey but most of my traveling is the commute so on the odd long journey I would just have to take it as comes.

I have been extremely impressed with the smoothness of the auto box (admittedly its the only one i have driven) and how silent the car is compared to my current diesel. It has certainly given me plenty to think about though in my decision for my next car.

One minor potential problem I have is the transporting of bikes. On my Golf I have a tow bar and use a cycle carrier attached to It for my bikes. I understand that a tow bar is not possible on the Toyota Hybrids so i would need to find an alternative solution for transporting my bikes. Using the roof bars is a possibility but just don't like the thought of lifting the bikes up in the air to fix to the roof bars. I will look into this.

Anyway a big thank you to all have replied so far. Very useful for me to get real life experiencences.

Have you ruled you a Prius instead? Is your dog too big for the sloping rear hatch?

It does have heating vents to the rear,

If you search for Barrycol - his picture shows a bike carrier on the rear

Personally, I like the digital instruments and Heads Up Display, but they're not to everyone's taste.

By buying a T3 with the SatNav option (Touch & Go Plus) I was able to get my dealer to fit the cruise control switch (plus front & rear parking sensors) so I've got all the toys I really need, plus the 15" wheels for maximum confort and mpg.

BTW - ECO mode mainly dulls the initial response to the accelerator, but it also reduces the amount of time the A/C compressor runs, or the engine runs just for heat. Within these limits, it will still strive to maintain the set temperature. (sometimes if you switch off ECO mode when stopped in traffic in cold weather the ICE immediately starts).

I took the plunge and had the Toyota heated seat upgrade a couple of weeks ago and my 96-year-old mother loves it, and it allows me to have the heating slightly less baking than before.

Worth a test drive?

• Like 1

I did look at the Prius but the leasing costs take it out of the allowance we get. It's a bit bizaare really because the Prius T3 is the same price roughly as the Auris Sports Tourer Icon model so why the lease costs are alot more is a mystery.

I do like the Prius interior over the Auris and the boot would suffice for the dog as he is only small but unfortunately the Prius is not is the leaseing price band.

...I have been extremely impressed with the smoothness of the auto box ...

if it's of interest, the reason it's so smooth is it has no gears at all - strictly speaking it's not even automatic, it's just a propulsion system that doest need a gearbox.

The wheels, engine and main electric motor are linked through a sort of 3-way differential (the power split device as Toyota call it). It's all permanently connected - nothing slips, disconnects or swaps cogs. They all have to add up to zero RPM. If the engine starts and you're not moving, the electric motor generator MG has to spin the other way by the same amount. If the MG starts turning and the engine is off you must be accelerating. If you reverse, the MG spins the other way.

Beautifully simple, far fewer moving parts than a conventional manual or auto gearbox. There are some web sites with moving graphics that demonstrate the principles.

Interestingly, the Honda Insight and Jazz Hybrids also claim to have a CVT (continuously variable transmission), but in their case they really do - a gearbox containing belts and pulleys plus a torque converter. To drive, the response to the throttle feels almost identical to the Toyota Hybrid system, but it's achieved in a totally different and far more complicated way.

• Like 1

I had a Prius T4 company car for 3 years, it was great. My answers are based on that knowledge.

1. Yes MPG gauge is about 5-10% optimistic. My best was 81MPG I achieved on a couple of longer trips, so that was better than 75MPG. Very happy with that. Most of the time I had the same type of journeys as you and the gauge was showing 55-57MPG (say over 50MPG real world). My previous car was an automatic diesel (Jaguar) and it was averaging 33MPG indicated (30MPG real world) on the same journeys. Oh, and the stop/start city driving part of the commute was killing the DPF.

Diesel cars do not achieve anything like their advertised MPG in stop/start city driving. The hybrid is FAR better in that. However, if you do long distance journeys cruising at high speeds (60-80MPH indicated) the diesel is as good and possibly better. The hybrid certainly rewards a lighter right foot with better MPG.

2. Yes. For pulling out at junctions, use PWR mode. It gives you more rapid power delivery. I normally used ECO for better economy myself, but coming up to a junction I would either put the car into PWR mode or else just floor the throttle (same result, only a second or so longer to achieve). The traction control would sort out any wheel slip problems.

For the record, the Prius was GREAT at standing starts in the Traffic Light Grand Prix. I blew off a couple of BMW turbo diesels and caught a Golf Turbo by surprise once as well. The trick was:

a. Put the car into PWR mode

b. Left foot on the brake

c. Right foot lightly pressing the accelerator

d. Drive select in forward (drive).

When the lights changed:

e. Step left foot sideways off the brake

f. Right foot hard down on accelerator

The Prius would leap off like a scalded cat (lots of torque at zero revs from the electric motor) and would leave the other cars standing. The surprise factor for the other drivers was the icing on the cake.

3. Best mode overall depends on your driving style. The hybrid car will encourage you to adopt a smoother, quieter, more restrained driving style. It's a very relaxing and economic way to drive. So I liked ECO for that. When I was in a hurry, I would go for PWR mode.

4. I went from a diesel to a Hybrid and LOVED it. The move works best if you are willing to adjust your driving style (as above). But if you try to drive a hybrid like a diesel (using lots of torque i.e. rev up the car and get the turbo going) then you will be disappointed.

• Like 1

hi Carl...

I too have 'evolved from diesel Golfs, to finally seeing the light, and bought a new T Spirit Prius. I have had all the versions of Golf Estates from the Mark 2 (hatchback) to the Mk V 2.0, upgraded with a Superchip to 175 bhp

the Golfs were quick, and the DSG gearbox was smooth, but having no gearbox at all is a revelation.....and having no DPF trying fry itself to death, even after a long run is a great relief

using Power mode in the Prius makes it pretty quick off the mark, and that is all I need now, and getting mid 60's mpg is no sweat at all...I have found that firm acceleration up to traffic speed followed by easing off altogether for a moment, puts the vehicle into EV cruise mode, which can be held for long periods..

as for bikes, I too had a tow bar rack for the Golfs and toured Europe with them on the back, but now I have had a Thule tow bar fitting put on the Prius.....it is a myth that they are not available for the Prius, as the fitting is a Thule stock fitting, and works brilliantly

• Like 1

I did look at the Prius but the leasing costs take it out of the allowance we get. It's a bit bizaare really because the Prius T3 is the same price roughly as the Auris Sports Tourer Icon model so why the lease costs are alot more is a mystery.

I do like the Prius interior over the Auris and the boot would suffice for the dog as he is only small but unfortunately the Prius is not is the leaseing price band.

The leasing costs are really bizarre, I think Toyota must be discounting the Touring big time to lease co's. When I changed my car back in July, we get an allowance and then can top up as much as we want, this is how they came out - All with similar list prices.

Auris Touring - top model plus every extra. +£35pm

Prius T4. +£120

Lexus CT Luxury + £185

Prius Tourer T3. + £280

Great information - Thanks for all ther replies.

Just to sway we a bit more to the Hybrid my Golf has been in the garage today wth more DPF problems. Just so glad I am not paying for all the garage bills !

I have read that various people have a towing pack fitted to a Prius to attach a cycle rack too but having emailed Toyota UK they advise that it is not possible on the Auris Hybrid to have this towing pack. Seems odd that Prius can but Auris can't.

I have another demo car out next week (a so called green diesel) and then I will make my final decision. So far though it is looking favourable for the Auris Hybrid. The minor problems I have like cycle carrying can be overcome with using roof bars and the problem of no vents in the rear for passengers is something the kids will have to live with while i am nice and toasty in the front !!!

Regarding cabin heat: today has been the first day with snow in my area this winter. Car covered on a 5 mile journey, the back windows did not defog enough although I used the HI temp. and full speed fans and normal mode to generate more heat. After 45 minutes to an hour in the car park of the shop, I went home and the back windows still hadn't defogged more than quarter or one third.

Idicated average for 30 miles on this tankful is 43 mpg.

Regarding cabin heat: today has been the first day with snow in my area this winter. Car covered on a 5 mile journey, the back windows did not defog enough although I used the HI temp. and full speed fans and normal mode to generate more heat. After 45 minutes to an hour in the car park of the shop, I went home and the back windows still hadn't defogged more than quarter or one third.

Idicated average for 30 miles on this tankful is 43 mpg.

Well this doesn't sound too good. It's one thing having no vents for heat in the back but it's not good when the car doesn't demist when steamed up.

Is this a problem that other people have found ?

The best way to demist is usually using the air con and some heat - from the description the air con wasn't used. Not sure how comparable the weather is between the UK and Denmark.

Appreciate the reply Nicolai.

I have now handed my demo car back and overall impression in the short time I had the car is very good.

On my 4 trips to / from work I averaged 55mpg according to the trip computer. I would have liked to have seen what the mpg would have been on a colder day.

I have read a couple of threads about the issues with heating for rear passengers so will do some more research. Certainly don't want the kids moaning about being cold on a long journey !!

Unfortunately I only got to drive the car on my commute to work which is about a 50 minute journey so didn't really experience potential problems with seat comfort on a long journey but most of my traveling is the commute so on the odd long journey I would just have to take it as comes.

I have been extremely impressed with the smoothness of the auto box (admittedly its the only one i have driven) and how silent the car is compared to my current diesel. It has certainly given me plenty to think about though in my decision for my next car.

One minor potential problem I have is the transporting of bikes. On my Golf I have a tow bar and use a cycle carrier attached to It for my bikes. I understand that a tow bar is not possible on the Toyota Hybrids so i would need to find an alternative solution for transporting my bikes. Using the roof bars is a possibility but just don't like the thought of lifting the bikes up in the air to fix to the roof bars. I will look into this.

Anyway a big thank you to all have replied so far. Very useful for me to get real life experiencences.

Try these for your bike carrying requirements:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/91eb78e7-dfa4-4198-9a85-28cfe2bd8594/Auris%20TS_Hybrid%20Detachable%20towing%20hitch_PZ408-E5562-00%20AIM%20002%20844-2.pdf

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/db448675-de75-4d9e-822d-2e6d349dc631/Auris%20TS_Fixed%20towing%20hitch%20PZ408-E5560-00%20AIM%20002%20864-1.pdf

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/41300c86-af0b-44ec-85b2-94fff80b4f21/AURIS_TOURINGSPORTS_RHD_THWH_13POLE_PZ457-E5563-00_AIM_002_728-0.pdf

• Like 1

The best way to demist is usually using the air con and some heat - from the description the air con wasn't used. Not sure how comparable the weather is between the UK and Denmark.

Aircon was used. Just not auto setting. My guess would be that Denmark is a little colder than the UK on average.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links