Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Box Let Go

mr2mk1g

Great - so I pull onto the bottom of the M32 to start the 200 mile trip up to lincolnshire. Changing from third to second in at a set of lights something goes crunch. Then the gear leaver goes all floppy. I'm pulling away in traffic so I can't stop... but as soon as I'm motering it becomes apparent the gear leaver no longer does anything... and I mean anything. It simply flops back and forth between 3rd and 4th as if it's not connected to anything.

The car's stuck in 4th... I think... it might be 3rd. The clutch still works fine... except for the fact that I put it though hell getting it the couple of miles back to my house. Standing starts in 4th hurt.... and smell bad. My worst worry was that the clutch would burn out too leaving me permanently stuck in 4th with no way of slowing the car down!!!

Ah well... she's sat outside now. Good thing a mate's going up to lincolnshire too and I'm only an hour out of his way.

!Removed! will have to wait till I'm back to get her box fixed. What a time for it to happen.

It's all your lot's fault - all that talk about how everyone's car was layed up.

Oh dear. Gearboxes seem to go quite frequently on MR2's, mine makes a crunch when changing from 4th down to 3rd :huh: .

Could be wrong, but sounds more like a linkage issue than the actual box itself. Was it a snapping sort of crunch or a lot of grinding sort of crunch?

sorry to hear that,

just a quick few sugestions - the gear box is linked by 2 controle wires so one could have broken as i think one dose 1-4-r and the other dose the rest or somthing like that. so it is possible that one of the connections has come adrift on the box or at the shifter?

have a look at the below link if you think it might be an engagment problem as your clutch may be out of ajustment - i thourght my syncros were shot in 2nd and 3rd but it was a clutch ajustment issue.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11790

very best of luck with geting it sorted.

Sounds like linkages .. if it's all "floppy" <fnar, fnar>

Get under the car and look at where they are connecting to the the G'box.

(check the shifter end too)

Sounds like gear linkage cables!

Get onto Rogue Systems to provide you with a replacement and get the garage to fit it up for ya buddy, they should only take an hrs time.

I think you'll need to id which cable you need tho, they should be colour coded, or rather have a sticker on em!

-Z

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links