Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On Rav 4

aven_man

Hi all,

I usually spend my time in the Avensis section but now my wife wants to change her Yaris and due to expanding family the Rav 4 looks like a good option. Will be looking at 2002/2003 5 door models and would appreciate any advice on what to look out for.

I haven't actually driven one yet but engine choices here in Ireland are poor. I suspect that the 1.8 VVT-i for that size body would be very sluggish and can't see much of an improvement in the 2.0.

How does the 2.0 D4D drive. We put a lot of milage up at weekends so if I purchase a D4D it will be doing most of them and I will only use the Avensis for work.

What is the ride like, reading through some of the posts here it sounds good.

Hi all,

I usually spend my time in the Avensis section but now my wife wants to change her Yaris and due to expanding family the Rav 4 looks like a good option. Will be looking at 2002/2003 5 door models and would appreciate any advice on what to look out for.

I haven't actually driven one yet but engine choices here in Ireland are poor. I suspect that the 1.8 VVT-i for that size body would be very sluggish and can't see much of an improvement in the 2.0.

How does the 2.0 D4D drive. We put a lot of milage up at weekends so if I purchase a D4D it will be doing most of them and I will only use the Avensis for work.

Don't like to see posts unanswered :rolleyes: .....there seems to be a few problems with the D4D at the moment ,see this thread as one example......

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47973

and another...

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42688

Own a Rav4 D4D since Jan 2002.

A bit noisy, but it is a diesel so expect a bit of clatter.

It took toyota dealer over 3 years to fix noise from accessory belt.

(check that the mod is fitted to the power steering pump mounting-4 washers-).

Warranty expired in Jan 2006, but bought extention for two years more.

There is still an unresolved problem after all this time--- Gear lever rattle in 5th gear.

Dealer said that mod was done in the gear box, gear stick and gate assembly replaced but the problem is still there---CONSIDERING my next move!!!!!!!!

In other words buy a suzuki.[/i]

Thanks for your responses.

D4D on Rav is now not looking a good option.

Cheers

Hi all,

aven_man, don't worry about the petrol version being low on power, I have an XT4 2L and it has 147bhp (manufacturers spec). It goes like stink if I put my foot down and the RAV4 has been called the GTI of 4x4's by some parts of the press :)

As for the ride, it's excellent for a car of it's hight/size. Once I got used to it I started to drive it like it was just another family saloon car with added benifit if excellent traction due to the 4 wheel drive

Hi there,

I've got the 5 door 2 litre petrol VX as my wife's car - it's great - not the most refined of engines (I drive a beemer so maybe I have high expectations!) but a great all round family car, and ultra reliable so far in a year of ownership.

I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Cheers,

Ali

Thanks johnbr and ahmurray

I am thinking of importing one from the UK. On a 2003 RAV4 2L VVT-i could save up to 8k euros compared to Irish prices. Also UK models are have a higger accessory list compared to Irish models.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links